Clients often ask what is the most important mobile web design tip? Well, for starters, its as simple as scaling down site content to fit the parameters of a mobile device. Remember that many mobile devices use touch screens and have native functions to improve the web browsing experience. Here are my tips on how to scale your site content:
- Only keep mobile friendly elements of your site. Mobile users are visiting your site for specific information.
- Simplify your navigation; mobile users are on the go.
- Increase the size of your text to a readable level.
- Use larger buttons and links; mobile users tab and drag so you must accommodate to touch screen spots.
- Reduce the loading time of media elements. Remove images and video that has no need to exist.
I will use our Lookit Design site as an example. Please review the screen shot of a services page on our mobile site.
1. “Back” button takes the users to the previous page. The page title is big and bold!
2. The site content has been greatly reduced for the mobile site. We only create a brief overview to our eCommerce service. If the visitor wants to read more; they can press the “View Full Site” button – which creates an email to the full size page. Allowing the ability for the user to look at the site from their full size computer.
3. Icon based navigation to access the home page
4. Icon based navigation to contact Lookit by email
5. Icon based navigation to 1-click call Lookit
6. Icon based navigation to view the Lookit Twitter page
Remember, above all else, effective mobile sites are targeted for a mobile audience. Think about mobile features that your site can target. I will use our Lookit Design site as an example. Please review the screen shot of a services page on our mobile site.